Thursday, March 01, 2007

How to use a Screw Gun

Bam, bam. "Why won't this thing break," I asked myself as I slammed the screw gun into the light bulb that had been lighting up the inside of my van for the past hour. I am, to say the least, blind in the dark. Add rain and an unknown freeway and you have the makings for a disaster and a very stressed out woman. Add a light that can't be turned off no matter what you do, indescribable.

Steve was in the moving van 45 minutes ahead of me. My van was loaded, and because I own such a high quality automobile the back door to the van doesn't open from the outside. While Jeremiah was helping me load the van we accidentally caught the corner of a suitcase in the door just enough to keep the light in the van on. There was no way to get to it. Besides being afraid that I was going to leave my husband a widow and my children orphans because I couldn't see the road, I was afraid that the light bulb inside the back door was going to ignite my sister-in-laws belongings, and the whole thing was going to go up in smoke. Or, my imagination continued, maybe the back door would pop open, and all the contents would spill out onto the freeway. That would be par since I can never get the thing open.

I called Steve on the cell phone in a panic. Just to reiterate, I don't see or drive well at night. I am a coward in these types of situations. I tell him I am going to pull over and get a Motel 6. Considering my last experience with a Motel 6, well let's just say I was desperate. I saw a truck stop. Those are always fun. I pulled off the freeway into a very well lit parking lot, took Steve's screw gun, and began to bash the heck out of the light bulb while trying to cover my eyes as to not blind myself with flying glass. It wasn't made of glass. It would not break being bashed with a screw gun by a panicked woman. I was done at this point, on the verge of tears. Even though I have traveled much in my life, I have only driven one place that far from home by myself. I know it was only three hours from home, but I was alone, exhausted, and I couldn't get the light bulb off.

I looked down and saw the first aid kit. I saw a board book. Fortunately, for me, I don't clean out my van very often. My house is clean, but you could live off of the stuff you could find in my van for at least a week. Sickening I know, but reality. I found first aid tape and taped the board book over the light. It worked and didn't catch fire although I felt it consistently. I drove on. It was amazing how much better I could see. I got to the hotel, and we had to borrow a tool from the front desk to disconnect the battery.

Screw guns are good for many things, but not in the hands of a crazed woman.

No comments: