Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What I Do All Day

Someone asked me what I do all day long...I am a stay-at-home mom you know. My life is a cake walk apparently. It stung. It cut, I have to admit. But, I decided to look at what I do all day long, to take note of it. So here is my day...just today until 6:00 p.m.

Wake up
Text a discouraged friend.
Stumble to get coffee.
Laundry...
Make sure the boys are ready for the day which requires multiple attempts.
Laundry...
Set them up for school.
Wash bedding...
Teach them how to read, write, math, science, social studies, art, etc. etc.
Finally get myself ready for the day, but the legs will have to wait for another day.
Say for the millionth time...and I am not exaggerating...Don't bounce the ball in the house!
Finn comes to visit while daddy goes to school and mommy goes to work.
Run to the bookstore across town to get Amanda her book for Honors English that no one in town seemed to carry except a small used book store...clear across town.
Run to the grocery store to get spaghetti sauce for dinner.
Run to my friends house to drop off some things I borrowed a month ago.
Run the book to Amanda.
Run home to finish up school with the boys.
Make a lasagna for dinner.
Run Amanda her soccer shirt she forgot...yes, I am aware I probably shouldn't have done that if I am teaching her responsibility.
Run to Evan's soccer practice.
Run home to get Lindsey.
Run to Amanda's soccer game while dropping Ian off at football practice which requires getting tons of gear found and ready.
Get home to throw dinner in the oven.
Laundry...
Get a call about something I have to do tomorrow.
Sit down to send Ryan a paper for school that is on my computer.
Answer a few important emails.
Which leads me to this....

I have no idea what I do with my time. I guess I should get a job that brings in money so that I can do something important with my life.

or not...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, what happened to my comment yesterday? Humm..cyber fail... anyway...
I am CERTAIN you forgot a BILLION things! wiping noses, tying shoes, I didn't see meals and snacks throughout the day, staying home and raising kids can be much more difficult than having a job outside the home... it's mess after mess to clean up (if no one were home, sure not so many messes) you are a great mom and I'm amazed at how you do it all!!! You are wonderful Shellie!

Jennifer said...

To be a stay at home is such a big sacrifice! It is such a selfless thing to do. I had a career that I loved. When I first had my kids, I was working outside of the home. After my 3rd one I decided to stay home with the kids. That was the hardest thing I have ever done. Working was sooo much easier. If it wasn't for the support of my husband I would have never been a stay at home mom. I can't tell you how many times I said "I had enough of this I am going back to work, I needed a break!" And my husband would come along side of me and refresh my memory of how important it is to have me home with them.
If it is $$$ that is your gauge as to what is important, by all means go get job that pays $$$. If your gauge is what is best for your family (kids & husband), then staying home IS the most important job. It IS the hardest job, but it IS the most important job!
Shellie YOU are the perfect example of what an amazing woman looks like! Your loved ones are very blessed to have you!!!