Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Assessments?

"Hmmm, your kindergartner gets stuck between the numbers of 12 and 13. Our assessment is that you failed in the first five years of his life."

Today Ian has a little assessment before he starts school on Thursday. I guess it is routine, but this is only the second person I have enrolled in kindergarten, and I don't remember if they did that with Lindsey. I am not sure what they expecting. I think he is really smart for his age, but I doubt if they will be asking him questions that use words like rambunctious and all the other big words he likes to use. I can't remember what they are right now because there are way too many medical terms running through my brain. It is a good thing I am not being assessed.

Update: It was almost as bad as I said above. For some reason I thought kids went to Kindergarten to learn their letters, but apparently I should have kept him inside for the last four years and taught him the names of upper and lower case letters as well as all the sounds they make. Oh well, I would choose to do it the same way again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your assessment. Without getting to ideological or ill logical, it seems that as human beings we tend to do quite well in our development if we associate with family, friends, and even those we meet in the toy section of Walmart. For example, I know some very inteliigent folks who have mastered the art of living who got through the 8th grade. There is no better place to learn the lessons of life than with parents, family, and friends. Of coarse we all remember the famous quote from one of our greatest presidents, if not the best in most everyone's book, when Abraham Lincoln voluntarily stated something like "My mother was the greatest positive influence in my life" So no matter how the school system, including kindergarten, views intelligence or whatever they are viewing as they test, your kids are influenced by the best teachers available, Mom and Dad. Keep up the good work all you parents as you guide those precious little minds down the road to joy and happiness, and yes success, which is best described by these two words. Love, Dad