Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Melting

I'm melting along with the rest of the family, and I am married to a brute of a man. My garbage disposal broke yesterday. A nickle was to blame once the whole thing was laying where we could see what had happened. Anyway, he was trying to help me fix it tonight, and as we have noticed before he is much stronger than he thinks he is. He tried to pry the jammed disposal and completely knocked it loose from the sink, which in turn hit the handle that controls the water for the dishwasher, which broke from the water line, which started spraying everywhere, which caused him to panic. I, of course, am fairly calm in a crisis. Give me everyday life, and I am a stress case, but give me a crisis, and I am splendid. I instructed Amanda to get towels, lots of towels. Of course there are not dirty towels because I washed them all today. Dirty towels would have worked just fine. Oh well, what is another three loads of laundry in my life. He finally got it shut off, and now he is on his way to the hardware store. I vote for a new disposal since this one doesn't even begin to work right. I am constantly having to get down under the sink and clean out the pipes of a substance that looks like something that would come out of very sick dog. And the job is half done. But I will settle for a new handle for the water line. The kids are very worried about what is going to happen when someone needs to go potty, and we are almost out of bottled water.

2 comments:

Arlene said...

I must rise to my son's defense. He seems to have had a flashback to when he was five and we lived in an apartment. Whenever the disposal quit, the manager came with a hammer, crammed the handle into the appliance and stirred vigorously. It worked every time. They don't make disposals like the used to.

Shellie said...

Now I have a disposal that can grind up chicken bones...might have come in handy if I bought chicken with bones. But I am a bone free, skin free chicken purchaser who owns a really powerful disposal.