Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Things That Make Me Want To Crawl In A Hole

We were at Fred Meyer the other day....yes, I am there often. Evan was sitting in the shopping cart observing everything and chattering away about it all. I was unloading my grocery cart when I heard him say, "You have a big tummy." As I am jerking my head up, I hear, "Yes, I do have a big tummy."

Somebody beam me out of here! What do you do in a situation like that? I look up to see this very large woman that...works there. Let me say again, I go here often. So, I did the only thing that came to my mind. I start talking. I tell her the story of when one of my girls told me I had a big bottom while I was pulling up my pants in a public restroom. She just smiled like I was an idiot. No matter how much I tried to make her feel better, my bum is half the size of hers. That would be like one of my girls trying to tell me they can relate to the humiliation I would feel in a situation like that.

This reminded me of the time Tiffani saw a lady with very orangish hair in a very small office. She shouted out, "Look mommy a clown." She was still a little hard to understand, and I was quicker on my feet back then. I responded, "No, Honey you can't get down." I wonder if it worked or if the lady just thought I should figure out how to understand my 2-year-old.

So, every time I go through the checkout at the grocery store, I just pretend like nothing happened. I just put duct tape over Evan's mouth. I wonder if she notices.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Shellie! Oh my, yes, I would be mortified!!... actually, I should probably say, I WILL be mortified when Vienna starts to say such things too :)

Arlene said...

Back in the early 60s when hippies abounded, I was in a grocery store when one walked by. A little boy sitting in a shopping cart took in the man's beard, shoulder length hair,long brown tunic and sandals. The tot's eyes were wide and his mouth agape. Once the hippie had passed, he turned and said in an awestruck voice, "Mamma, I just saw Jesus!"