Sunday, February 03, 2008

Things that go with green chili stew....

Last year in December, we went to my brother's house in Colorado. We missed the first big storm that virtually shut down the city and made it into town before the next big one. It was white outside, cozy inside, so much laughing, so much reminiscing, being unusually comfortable in my skin, and the smell of green chili stew. Mmmm...

Today I made green chili stew. After it was on the stove for a couple of hours, I started getting emotional and almost started crying. It was weird. I paused for a moment and realized how much smells effect my memories. White Rain hairspray reminds me of my grandma, Nini. The smell of cold on my kids' hair is winter. Rainstorms in the summer that smell different than rainstorms in the winter, reminding me of standing on the porch in Colorado, huge pregnant with Tiffani, watching the lightening. The smell of the ocean when you can't see it because you have been driving for days to get there, and it is dark when you arrive. Green chili stew reminds me of my brother. It made me miss him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We miss you too Shell. That was a wonderful time. I wouldn't want to be snowed in with anybody else but family. Every time I play hand and foot I think about you, Steve and the kids. Remember that little cookie thief's mischevious smile? Can't wait to make more memories this summer. Maybe we should get T-shirts printed up for everyone and come up with a name for our reunions... Love, Kelly

Shellie said...

Maybe we should let Steve and Mike duke it out over the name. They both are smarty and could probably come up with something good. Great idea. I am sure the teenage girls will LOVE it...nothing like wearing a matching shirt with your mom, dad, and old aunts and uncles. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Maybe it will keep the boys away!! Yeah, right ;-)