Friday, August 18, 2006

The Friendliest Man Alive

You have probably meet or at least been affected by the friendliest man alive. You have sat next to him on an airplane or fought fire next to him in one of the many wild fires that have blazed across the forests of our nation. You know the guy. He was the one with a cast on his leg. Maybe you have operated on him in some fashion or aided in his healing. Maybe you have climbed the same snow-capped peak. I can't imagine that there are very many people who have not been affected by this man.

It all started back in 1940 when Chester Virgil and Princess Dorothea got what I imagine was the surprise of their lives. It had been eight years since they had heard the word, "Congratulations! You are going to have a baby." They weren't young. Their children were older, and now they got to do it all over again. But, just like many of us have found out, God doesn't always follow our plan, and for that I am thankful. So, on this day, August 18, in the year 1940 God blessed this world with a baby named David Marquis. He arrived to this world in Monmouth, Illinois. He lived on Dime Hill.

He is my daddy, and I am amazed by this man. He loves Jesus in a world that doesn't. He loves my mama and has done so for 39 years and counting. He loves his children and his grandchildren unconditionally, even when we don't deserve it. He is loyal. He is the hardest working man I have or ever will meet. He has overcome obstacles without giving up. He is an example of persistence.

I am blessed to have been born the oldest daughter of this man. Through him I have experienced things most people don't get to. My kids always want my childhood. They want to do the things I did because they were so adventurous. Not much in my younger years is considered normal, but boy do I have the stories to tell around the campfire because I was raised by this man. Marquis calls them "Grandpa Stories". We all tell them to our kids.

His children all strive to be like him in some way, even if we don't know it. This summer the three of us went to California with our families. To save $10 we shoved all 16 of us in the mini van to drive to Disneyland. Granted it was only two blocks, but we were able to look at his 10 grandchildren who were all there that day and tell them it was a grandpa moment. As they were smelling their cousins' they got it. The stench of one another after walking around Disneyland for hours in 105 degree weather burned the memory into their hearts. We learned how to make memories from the best. Last week my family went camping, and I officially reached a bench mark in becoming more like my father. I scared my kids. I told the scariest story ever by the light of the campfire, and they were SCARED. My kids love to look at me and tell me I am acting just like grandpa. I do hope I have the integrity and love towards others that my father has.

Happy Birthday, David Marquis! You are quite the man!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! Happy Birthday to him! :)

Visiting from CHBM

Anonymous said...

Shellie that is so sweet. You almost made me cry (at work!!). We really need to write a "Grandpa Stories" book for our kids. I know that some of the stories you tell are slightly different than the ones we tell the boys (Marq is slightly listening deficit). Your dad is a truly amazing man. Happy Birthday Dave!!
Love, Marq, Kelly, Justin, Alec and our newest addition Zoey.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dad!
Thanks for the great post Shellie.

Marquis

Anonymous said...

He is an awesome Dad and man. Shellie,thanks for the beautiful reflection of our Dad.
Every time I get a wild idea or a burst of courage, I know it is his blood pulsing through my viens. I love that feeling:)
Happy birthday Dad!
Stephanie