Sunday, August 06, 2006

Sky Diving?

Last night Steve and I watched a teaching, and the guy was talking about his cousin putting on his boots one morning, kissing his family goodbye, and then dying at age 27 at his work, leaving his family and friends. Then he talked about if it were the last day....You know the rest...What would you want the final "pictures" of your life to be, and with whom. It is all stuff we have heard before, maybe it's PMS, but I really felt challenged to think through this. So, I started at Evan and Ian. They are simple. They want to be snuggled. That is all it takes really. A story in mommy or daddies arms. Then I worked my way up the line, and it became much more challenging. How do you connect each day with your older children and your spouse so that they know that they are the most important thing in this world to you? This is not easy. I think I will ask them, "If today were the last day we could spend together what would we do? You know, what would we really do." We could all pretend we would go sky diving, ride a bull, look at the ocean, whatever country song comes to mind, but is that really what we would do with the last day of our existence here on earth. We would most likely look those we love the most in the eye and make sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that they knew we loved them, adored them, treasured them, make sure we have told them about Jesus' love for them, and every other thing that we could possibly think of that would bring them comfort in this life. Then we would hold them. So, I will ask my children. Maybe they will make it easy on me and have some great insight into their being. Maybe they won't. Either way I will make a new effort everyday to clean less, hold my babies more, listen to my kids when they talk to me, and make sure I have hugged each one of my family members and told them how much I love them. I never want them to doubt that, so I will tell them more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No blue funk. Just deep thoughts lately. ":-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the meaningful challenge. I'm glad we can express love and still hug one another. Glad we got to go fishing that day with you and Steve and the kids. No fish were caught that day but we bagged some great memories. Did Fred Myers ever make good on the poles? We love each and everyone of you guys. Love, Dad and Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow! So, I knew just what I was gonna say and then I was so rudely interrupted by Jacob screaming that his brother hit him with this big stick. Now, where was I... what a deep thought to ponder. It is so true that family really know how much they are loved, isn't it? That was one thing that my parents did a good job of, always loving on us. I remember sitting on my dad's lap, even as a teenager, and my friends thinking it was wierd. To me, it was just love, never anything wierd. Thanks for the thought! Love, Missy

Anonymous said...

Well I figured I'd better post something so that you actually know that I am reading your blog...:)
I just wanted to say that that is trully a deep thought to ponder...I know for my parents, they've always made me feel loved too. Even to this day, if I don't kiss my dad goodbye or give my mom a hug everyday that I see them (and sometimes it's everyday that I do see them), then I feel guilty about it later, like something may happen....I'll have to instill that in my kids and husband, so that they feel the same guilt.
HAHA just kidding, I meant that they will hug and kiss me too....sorry..its been a long day.
Love ya Shellie! Charlene

Anonymous said...

I think my last day would be "just" being with those I love and absorbing all the love they pour out. Thank you for your love and showing it in so many little ways. love,mom