Friday, October 10, 2008

The Color Green

I have to admit there are times in my life that I struggle with feeling significant to God. How can the God who placed the stars in the sky care about my day to day stuff, my struggles, my joys, my heartaches, my laughter, my tears, my successes? I say I don't doubt His love for me, at least that is what I verbalize and try to convince myself of, but the reality is, I do.

The people I love are treasure to me. I love them. Simply but complexly. I care about them personally, and I care about what happens to them on a day-to-day basis. I rejoice when they succeed, and I cry when they hurt. With each new person that finds their way into my heart, my heart expands, it does not throw away one of the other people I love to make room for the new person I love. How come I can grasp this concept with a simple human, but it is hard for me to grasp with the one true living God? If I can love like that imperfectly, God surely can in all His splendor. Amazing.

He has been speaking to my heart lately regarding this issue. How easily I forget His love for me. He has carried me, literally, from one day to the next. I have seen Him work great and marvelous things in my life. But yet, I think He has forgotten me at times. How unbelieving of me. Could I forget one of my children? Of course not. That is a ridiculous notion.

I was driving down the street a couple of days ago. I was a few blocks from my house. I was minding my own business, spacing out, thinking or not thinking. I don't really remember...but, I noticed the color green.

He made so many things functional and beautiful. But it was something so simple yet so complex that I noticed. It really doesn't have a function. I am sure a scientist could explain it to me, but frankly I don't really need the scientific backing on this issue to figure out one of the reasons He did what He did. He used the color green to get my attention because it is my favorite color. There before me were multiple shades of green. I can't even begin to describe the many shades I saw. I did not stop and observe these colors for long. It was seconds that I saw them, but they are burned into my memory to remind me that He cares about me. He could have simply made green green. But He didn't. He made green so many different shades, and He painted so many different textures and shapes those shades of green. He did it because He wanted us to see something beautiful. He did it because things that are beautiful speak life to my soul. He did it because it made my heart slow down and notice that I was important to Him.

Amazing the color green, that speaks of my God's heart toward me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is amazing! and as many shades of green there are... there are infinitely more shades of "people" and it takes all of us to soothe His creativeness... He allows us to blend into beautiful colors He intends, but He also allows us, in our humanness, to blend into colors He did not intent, not so beautiful colors, but even the not so beautiful colors have beauty in them at times (just look at any home decorated in the 70's ha ha ha... we loved the colors then, hate them now! ha ha). Thanks for sharing, it's made me ponder deeper today (especially since Vienna is eating quietly --for a change-- and Ziva is swinging peacefully... ahhh... moments!)