Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dear Lady...

Dear Lady in the Check Out Line,

There are very few things that make me want to freak completely out on someone. You can roll your eyes at me when I use my stack of coupons, you can tap your foot impatiently when I can't find my debit card, and when you do that, I will usually smile at you and thank you for being so patient. I will tell you that I know it is difficult being behind someone like me in the line, and how much I appreciate your kindness. I am a very polite person who does everything in my power to not be a pain in the backside to the people in line behind me. I actually will even let them go before me if I think it would help them.

BUT, there is one thing you should never do. Do not ever act like you could parent my child better than me. I do a darn good job of that on my own, and I don't need your help. I really don't. Do not point out what he is doing as if I am blind. I am not blind, but thanks for checking! At this stage of the game because I hate that so very, very much, I will probably let him get away with whatever he is doing just to bug you. Really I will, especially if it is the first day of my period. So parent your daughter who is standing there quietly watching you jump whenever my son moves a muscle. Leave me and my child alone. I will not justify his actions to you. If you are lucky, I will ignore you, and pray that I remember what is important in life. I will remember that I use to let people like you get under my skin, and truth be known, I may have even judged others like you judged me. Then I will pray that God miraculously blesses you with two little boys to put your life in perspective. It is not that big of a deal when a five-year-old boy touches the divider between our stuff. I can tell him, “Please don't touch that, Sweety," without you jumping around acting like he just kicked you in the shin or something. My goodness, I would hate to see what you would do if a child WAS actually doing something wrong. Seriously! WHAT THE HECK !!!!!!!

Lay off the Starbucks! You are making me nervous!

Sincerely,
Shellie

Someone please find me the Midol. NOW!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said I'm sure on behalf of all us moms out there!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put. However, I am one who will tap my foot and roll my eyes when someone with a full cart stands staring in space or chatting on her phone until the clerk rings up the entire purchase. Then she rummages in her purse for her checkbook. Then for a pen. She asks what date it is, and enters all the information in the ledger before she writes the check. Then she searches through her wallet for her driver's license. Now THAT's annoying.

Arlene

1parakeet said...

Oh wow, I bet that can make a mother mad! I am not a mother, but I was told by someone that it seems like I am saying that I am bored with my parrot and want to replace her!!! >:o

I don't know if you are an animal lover or anything like me, but this little post just reminded me of that. (Not that I am saying that your son is an animal . . .)


I liked reading this post. Maybe I'll subscribe.

:)

-1parakeet