Friday, July 23, 2010

Fast

Life is fast.

One day you have a newborn baby and the next day she is 22.

One day you are 22 and the next day you are 42. One day you are laughing with your friend over silly things your precious little ones are doing, and the next day you are shaking your head with her trying to figure out how you became grandmas.

How?

One day at a time.

One hard day after another mixed in with one blessed day after another. One day filled with little stresses and little joys.

One day at a time our lives can be stolen. One day at a time our lives can become precious memories.

Sometimes I have allowed my days to be stolen. Too many times. Stolen by stress. Stolen by fear. But I am trying to not let my days be stolen with regret. One day at a time I continue to step forward. Forward on that path that will continue to bring me life.

There have been many days memories have been built that are worth keeping. Simple, not complicated days. Days with the feeling of sun on my head. Days filled with the smell of heaven on my little ones' heads. Days of just living my life. Days filled with simple.

Of course I have the big memories. But mixed in the big memories are the little ones. The ones that cause my eyes to water and my heart to swell to the point of almost hurting. Like when Ian looked at me with fireworks going off around us and told me he wanted to wish upon a star. We were separated from the rest of our family. We were in our own little world. Why does that make me cry? Maybe it is because his little chubby cheeks are fading. Maybe it is because my heart is too small to contain that amazing feeling only a mom can feel in moments like those. It is unexplainable so I won't even try.

If there is one thing that I would ask to have until I leave this world, an old woman with deep wrinkles caused by many ups and downs, surrounded by those I love, it would be my memories.

God, give me those simple moments that will create something worth remembering. And continue to heal my heart of fear. Let the stress fall off me knowing you are my God.

5 comments:

Yoga Raharja said...

Make me realize that one day there will be no more "one day" for all of us..
Did I have filled that "one day" things with a good things? bad things? we never know..

Zaaf said...

Life is ironic.

One day we are crying, and after a time, we are laughing at the same thing.

That makes life worth living, and somehow make it a little harder...

I love your blog, really nice...

Sue said...

Amen - we so have to remember sometimes to slow down and realize the good stuff over the stresses.
Thank you for your blog, it is so fun to read.

La Sauciere Folle (The Mad Sauce Chef) said...

Yep, a summer holiday seemed to last for ever now I turn my head and it is Christmas again.Thanks for the sentiment.

Unknown said...

Amen to this Shellie! You said everything that I was thinking..how perfect. I love how you write and express your thoughts. And I love how your words inspire me. I am a BIG fraidy cat! I fear so much. Mostly my health or my kids health failing. I have such a huge fear of so many things. I feel like such a wuss. Its hard living this way. I continue to pray that God heals me of this and that I can be FEARLESS. I will pray for you, too. You are right. Our God IS BIG! Would love to see you soon!